Monday, December 31, 2007

Looking Back

A year the 29th!!! We made it, one year under our belts. Our anniversary was on the 29th and it was not at all what we wanted it to be. We had no money... or actually no money we could obtain due to a banks being closed and a check to me that I couldn't cash because I still haven't switched over my liscense. But that wouldn't have mattered except Daniel felt bad and he really wanted to do something, and I kept asking him what did he want to do ( It didn't help that we were sick and really didn't want to do anything) But I was feeling down because we never had money on Valentines Day, or our sixth month anniversary and we still did something memorable... feeling down didn't help because Daniel thought I was mad at him :) So about 8:00 I called Daniel in for a mtg and said "Let's start today over" I then went on to explain we could still make today special. I told him that if he would leave the room I would find something that maybe I'd given him before or something special to us and wrap it up, then he could do the same. We would then open them and tell each other why they meant something. We also decided to tell each other 3 things we loved about the past year and that was memorable to us. While Daniel was finding his gift I popped popcorn and grabbed the movie Ratatouille which we hadn't seen yet and two glasses of juice. We opened the gifts, mine was a shirt Daniel bought me for Christmas but he gave it to me early... he knew I wanted it and tricked me when he bought it, he gave it to me early because I was complaining about not finding anything to wear. It was thoughtful of him to get it because it showed me how much he pays attention to my wants. I gave Daniel a small quote book I made for him when we were engaged. Each page rotates with a quote about love and then something that I personally loved about him. He told me he read it almost every night we were engaged because he was away from me and it made him feel so loved. We then talked about our memories and also made goals for this next year. Then we had a silly toast with our grape juice and ate popcorn and watched our movie... we had kleenex's nearby because we were both so sick... but it turned out to be great and I was glad we decided to do something special that day instead of feel sorry for ourselves.

One memory I have is our first date... it lasted almost 24 hours. I got up at 4 am to start a drive up to zion national park. Daniel and I and some of his family and their friends were going to hike the narrows. A gruelling 16 miler where 90% of the time you walk through water. Here is a map that sorta explains the hike.


We did it in around 10 hours which was pretty good... the drive up to the trail head took a few hours itself. We got home around 6:00 I showered and drove out to the flat where Daniel took my on a motorcycle ride to the Peach Days Rodeo... after that we went to JB's with the family and ate dinner. Then we drove over to his cousin's house and watched a movie on the trampoline with some of his family... That's when he kissed me :) Then I needed to go back to his house to get the vehicle to drive to LaRae's but I was leaving after church the next day so we decided to talk about what we were going to do since an 8 hour drive seperated us. Needless to say we figured out how to see and talk to each other and the rest is history. Let me just say that going on a 10 hour hike is a great way to get to know someone and the scenery is breathtaking here are some pics...and if anyone is ever interested in going let me know I'll give you the scoop!!

1 comment:

Karli said...

Congrats on your anniversary you two! you are such a cute couple and we are grateful to have you as friends. you mean so much to us. glad you made your day special. setting goals is something we like to do this time of year together as well. love you!
k