I have been really pondering the intelligence of choices I make. Not even the really huge ones but the every day ones. It's interesting to think about the things we sacrifice or "trade off" for some of our choices.
Daily I'm making these trade offs. A nap instead of washing my dishes, or vice versa. A movie for the kids instead of coming up with creative time. Staying at the park longer which cuts into nap time for the kids. Taking on church callings that can require many hours of preparation cutting into family time. While I deal with most of these without thinking, there has been some pretty big changes in my life health wise that has required a lot of trade-offs and a lot of thought.
Losing weight has been interesting, it's not just the losing weight it's the knowledge that being healthy sure does take a lot of time and effort. Realizing that it's worth it doesn't necessarily make it easier. I exercise now.... A LOT. At least 5 times a week but usually 6. Sometimes I exercise more than 2 hours in a day. I am training for a 1/2 marathon and the thought it almost laughable. I had never even ran a mile without stopping (outdoors) before... ever. I remember in high school running for the presidential fitness badge and I always walked a 1/2 a lap or more. Last Saturday I ran 9.2 miles and dang it I'm proud of myself. I could maybe struggle with 10 "real" pushups before now I can do 100 "real" ones (not without a break but hey I'm working on it) Now before it sounds like I'm a braggart I do have a point. I have worked hard to get to here. I have taken time out of my day, time out of my kids day, time out of my hubby's day to get to this point. And I'm not done. I sometimes have wondered if it's worth it... for me of course it is but what about my family? And the answer is YES.
When I go running and my husband takes the kids out to grandma's to play or to the park he always drives on my route so they can see me running. This was my idea, I wanted my kids to see me exercise to see that it was a daily thing for mommy. And when we were at the park and Addy went taking off running, her dad asked her where are you going Addy? She said " I just goin runnen dad!" And my heart was uplifted by the fact that I was setting an example for my kids. I don't watch T.V. until they are in bed and though I need to work on not being on the computer so much I try to show them that being active is what you do.
As for my eating it was a huge trade off. Yes it was a cost to my family, one we really had to think about. But surprisingly we didn't feel to much of the pressure because obviously mom wasn't shopping for what she thought might taste good for dinner. Since I am somewhat of an experimental cook I would see lavish recipes with expensive ingredients and want to make it. All of a sudden I was making things that just my kids and hubby would like and we were saving money. It was a trade off to miss out going to my favorite burger joint or pass by my favorite dish in favor of something healthier. Or even the fact that I carry a bottle of approved dressing in my purse and get strange looks when I pull it out. But this trade off was worth it because I am almost 50 pounds lighter and inches and inches smaller, plus my vitals are amazing in fact out of my husbands CNA class I had the best vitals basically meaning my body was the most efficient.
So I'm done right? That is perhaps the biggest trade-off of all. This is a LIFE change. Is it daunting? Heck yes it is. Am I petrified of failure? Yes... yes I am. But I am also confident because I know that even if I decide that the trade-off isn't worth it that day, I know the next day I'll be right back on track because being a healthier me makes for a healthier mommy, and a healthier marriage and THAT is worth it.
3 comments:
You. are. awesome. I am so glad you know you are doing the right thing, a healthy Mom makes a healthy family! I can't say GOOD FOR YOU enough!!! Love you Susie!
PS put up a picture that shows your pretty face and doesn't blur you out! The road is pretty but come on!
Reminds me of the conference talk I just read by Sis. Beck (May 2010 Ensign) where she says something like "there are a MILLION important things to do, and you have to just follow the Spirit to know what you should prioritize." I totally paraphrased it, but YES, tradeoffs. We can't do it all, and what is most important to some people might be less important to others, etc. so I'm glad it seems you've done a lot of soul searching, experiencing, etc. and found your rhythm in life.
Post a Comment