I didn't realize that I would miss Ruthie so much, but I do. Even though she was ailing for the past year I still called her every week and the knowledge that she was there was a comfort. Since she's been gone there's a little hole there, I don't think about it very much but there are times when I find myself forgetting she's gone, wanting to call her for this or that or realizing all of a sudden that she's not there to call or talk to, that's when it hurts... I didn't expect it too so much because I was relieved she was not in pain anymore but it has been scary to have these feelings because it makes me worry for a time hopefully in the very distant future that one of my parents might be gone. I now have a glimpse of that hurt and realize how my parents must have felt when loosing some of their parents. Little things remind me of her and tonight it was my dinner plans. I wanted to do some pork chops but not just any pork chops, Ruthie's pork chops. It was one of my favorite meals and she would make it whenever I came home. It isn't anything special except Ruthie's always tasted better than any I could make though the recipe was simplistic, I guess made with love really does make a difference. Anyways, I thought that I'd share the recipe real quick.
You want to pick pork chops that have a little fat on them, that's what gives meat the flavor (you can always cut it out later). Next get your pan real hot and put a few drops of olive oil along with some butter (oil helps so the butter won't burn. When the pan is hot pat your meat to make sure it's dried. Season meat or the oil/butter mixture before putting into the pan. Let is sear on each side (about 45 seconds each) when turned over open two cans of cream of mushroom and place on top (don't spread) Let is sit for about a minute then turn heat down and cover pan for 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice or potatoes (there will be enough sauce)
Enjoy and think of a grandma cooking it with love, I know I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment