Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tender Mercies

I turned 27 today. It was a toughy coming to terms that I am getting real close to 30. I know it's just a number but seriously I just feel so young still that it's weird to think how others will consider me old (not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me) Anyways I had a pretty great birthday. Got some gifts from my kids and hubby. Saw my sweet Grandma who turns 92 next month. Had breakfast with my little family. Had cake and ice cream made by my sweet Aunt Roma. And went to Thor with cousins and siblings. All in all a GREEEEAAAAT birthday!!!! It actually started last night. My husband got home from work about 10:30 and he was on the phone when he walked through the door... and he was smiling. I could hear his side of the conversation saying "Does she know your calling?" I of course said who is it? He said hon it's one of your sisters. I looked at him funny wondering what the big deal was and it took a second to comprehend I went through my sisters thinking why would he think this was such a big deal (not that getting a call from any of my sisters isn't a treat?) Finally I said excitedly is it LILLIE? He nodded and I think my exact words while I bounced in my chair and held out my hand for the phone were "give me give me give me." I didn't get to talk to her long but it just made me happy and tear up a little I sure miss her but am so happy that she is doing so well on her mission. I do wish I could have talked to her today so I could tell her the best present I got on my birthday...
I had a very cool experience first thing when I woke up. I was just lounging in my bed and my daughter walked in she was still very dazed and in a dreamlike state. I laughed and said "Good morning Addy" she was at the foot of my bed and she turned and looked at me. She was looking at me funny like I was out of place. Finally she broke out into a grin and said something that jolted my heart. She said "Mommy, Ruthie came home." I sat up a bit and said what did you say? "Ruthie came home mom" I elbowed Daniel and asked "Are you hearing this?" Addy definitely had our attention. She then said with such a happy look on her face "Mom, Ruthie's not dead, she's not dead mom" (BTW the last time Addy saw Ruthie was when Addy was 18 months old, though we did talk about her last month) She repeated this twice saying it as if it would make me the happiest mommy around. Meanwhile I was in tears. Daniel questioned her further and Addy said "I played dress ups with Ruthie...and we watched a movie" I was bawling by this time. Daniel turned and said "I think Addy just gave you her birthday present" and I responded saying "no, I think Ruthie did." The date was meaningful not only because it was my birthday but because of what I was doing on my birthday a year ago. You can read the whole story here but some may remember that I was at Ruthies funeral thinking this was my worst birthday ever. I think Ruthie just made it up to me :) When I told my dad he said that those are what our religious leaders refer to as tender mercies. And I was so thankful for mine :)

1 comment:

Patrick, Lindsay and Jack said...

Wow, Suze. That is an incredible story! I'm so glad you recorded it. That is one special little girl you have. Love you!